Built as a cotton mill in 1884 with the utopian ideal to be a "city within a city" for its employees, the Bauwallspinnere (Cotton spinnery) was one of the biggest spinning works in Europe. With employee housing, gardens, stores, and a hospital, the area became a modern example of industrial society. In 1993 after the wall fell and Liepzig lost 90 percent of its industry, the Spinnerei was sold and became a tire cord factory. The empty rooms and large spaces began to draw artists, who started setting up studios, workshops, and exhibitions. Photo courtesy Spinnerei.
Artist also have the opportunity to sell their products to visitors, we especially loved the sculptural porcelain pieces by Claudia Biehne.